The recommended practice is to have staff scan their start and finish times + the materials used into the scanning stations. This achieves the following:
- Updates work in progress with the current status of a job
- Updates job costing information allowing comparison to quoted times
- Updates the production schedule
- Updates productivity figures
- Updates inventory figures
Providing staff are doing this in a systematic way it provides valuable information for customer service and for job costing and general KPI figures.
The scanning figures also provide a feedback loop that allows us to check the accuracy of quoting
Getting the Most Out of Scanning
following guidelines will assist in getting the most out of scanning
- Ensure that operations you wish to scan are shown on the job card with barcodes
- Ensure that staff scan the operations barcodes off the job card – this updates WIP with the next process on the list
Troubleshooting Scanning Problems
People forgetting to scan off when they leave for a day or at a break.
While the next time they log on they
will be prompted to log off, for accuracy that record needs to be fixed by
manually entering finishing time.
A person is unable to
Occasionally due to a network problem, and operator is able to log on two jobs at the same time, this causes the scanning system to stop working – an error correction tool is found in productivity reports section.